This kale and egg recipe came about one night when we were getting ready to leave the country for two weeks. It was the day before we were taking off and we had been trying to use up all of the perishables in the fridge before we left. At this point our fridge was looking pretty empty to say the least. All we had were a couple of eggs, a half a bag of kale from Trader Joe’s and some questionable looking carrots… so obviously those were out and we were left with kale and eggs.
We were busy packing and I wasn’t in the mood to cook. So, to make it as easy as possible on myself I just threw it all in the oven, because kale and egg bakes are a thing right? Well, if it isn’t. It should be. No joke this is the easiest meal you could ever make and who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner?
It was so simple and delicious it has become a go-to for us on busy nights because it literally takes less than 20 minutes to make (not counting the time it takes for the oven to warm up). The kale gets slightly crispy on the top and the eggs are the perfect runny consistency (if you don’t like runny eggs you can cook it a bit longer). Scoop this up over some gluten-free toast or roasted potatoes and you’ve got a perfect and quick brunch or dinner!
Crispy Kale and Egg Bake
- 3 cups chopped Kale or enough to fill your pan
- 4-5 eggs
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Add chopped kale to pan and drizzle with olive oil, use your hands to thoroughly coat the kale. Salt and pepper to taste.
- For each egg, create a little nest within the kale and simply crack the egg over the nest.
- Top with fresh cracked pepper and place in the oven
- Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on how well done you want your eggs. I have found that 18 minutes is just about prefect for me (whites fully cooked and yolks are a thicker consistency but still runny).
- Remove from oven and serve with gluten-free toast, roasted potatoes and enjoy!