My husband and I recently traveled to Greece, which was amazing! One thing we love to do when we travel is eat–obviously. Typically, so we can try a couple of different dishes, we like to order an appetizer or two and then split a main course.
We had tried a variety of different dips and cheeses while in Greece, but there was one in particular that was my favorite. This recipe is my best effort to duplicate a creamy, lemony goat cheese dip we had while on the island of Milos. It is SO good. It’s refreshing and creamy and it goes well on everything. It’s incredibly simple to make and takes just a few minutes–the perfect quick appetizer.
Now, I know goat cheese has a pretty strong flavor and not everyone loves it. However, in this recipe, the addition of lemon and olive oil help to balance that strong goat cheese taste and leaves you with something lighter and more refreshing.
I tested this recipe on a couple friends who are not huge fans of goat cheese and they actually loved it. WIN! I was only going to make a half batch of this recipe and at the last minute decided to just make the whole thing. Good thing I did. The entire bowl was cleaned right up! Needless to say, I think it was a hit.
So, if you’re in the need for a quick appetizer, this is the perfect go-to dip. It’s light and refreshing and it goes great on veggies, crackers and bread (gluten-free or not). I typically like to use a variety of peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, kalamata olives and some gluten-free crackers for an easy dipping platter. It is a nice twist on your average veggie board and it is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Lemony Goat Cheese Dip
- 10.5 oz goat cheese set out to soften for at least 30 mins
- juice of 1 and 1/2 small lemons
- 1/4 cup+ 2 tbs olive oil
- In a large bowl add goat cheese and whip either by hand or with an electric mixer. If it is still a bit hard it might be easier to at least get it started with the electric mixer.
- Add the lemon juice and olive oil and continue to whip until it is fully incorporated and you have a nice creamy consistency.
- Serve with vegetables of choice and gluten-free (or not) bread or crackers. Enjoy!