I first made this mint pesto pasta this summer. It was a weeknight, we were low on groceries and I didn’t have a plan for dinner. Whenever we are low on groceries, my go-to dinner is often something involving eggs or pasta. That night, I decided to go with pasta. I knew I had some fresh mint growing in the garden so I decided to make it into a pesto.
In this mint pesto pasta, blistered grape tomatoes are tossed with Kalamata olives and canned cannellini beans for an easy weeknight dinner. Best part is, it comes together in 30 minutes or less. This is one of those recipes that is nice to keep in your back pocket for the days you are feeling less prepared than usual.
I always keep my pantry stocked with olives and canned beans. Beans are a great source of protein and fiber while olives are packed with flavor and go well in a variety of dishes. This recipe is an incredibly simplified pasta dish because I used only what I had on hand at the time. But don’t be afraid to get creative with this dish! If there are other veggies you have on hand that you want to toss in, go for it!
So, if you’re short on time and need a quick dinner, this is the perfect recipe for an easy weeknight meal.
Mint Pesto Pasta
For the pasta:
- 1/2 lb gluten-free pasta
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives
- 1 can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
For the pesto:
- 2 cups lightly packed mint
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2/3 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs water
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- In a blender or food processer (I use my ninja bullet) and blend the mint, walnuts, garlic, olive oil, water, salt and pepper, set aside
- Prepare a pot with boiling water for your pasta
- Cut the your tomatoes and olives in half and place in a pan with 1 tbs of olive oil olive oil or just enough to coat. Cook over medium heat until the tomatoes start to blister
- While to tomatoes and olives are cooking, cook pasta according to package instructions for al dante pasta.
- Drain the pasta and add to the pan with the tomatoes and olives. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add the Pesto (add amount of pesto according to taste) , and cannellini beans to the pasta and toss well to coat. Once pasta and beans are heated through remove from heat and serve immediately.