I have been doing my best to hold on to the last bit of summer in every dish I make this week. Although it’s warm today, you can already see the leaves starting to change and on the cooler nights there is the faint smell of fall in the air.
I am completely torn buy this. I LOVE fall, but fall means winter is right around the corner and in Michigan, winter is never here for a short visit. So, while I’m excited for fall and all of the delicious fall comfort foods that come along with it, I am not quite ready to let go of summer. This dish is the perfect meal to help me transition into fall. Cooked all in one skillet this simple bruschetta chicken is rustic and hearty while the fresh basil and tomatoes are reminiscent of summer’s best produce.
Tomatoes, mozzarella, red onion, garlic, basil and balsamic vinegar are a classic combination and for a good reason. This skillet chicken comes together in under 30 minutes, making it a perfect weeknight meal. Sure to be a family favorite, pair it with a simple salad and mashed potatoes or rice and dinner will be ready in no time.
30 Minute Skillet Bruschetta Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 pint or about 2 cups of cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 large red onion sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella
- olive oil
- Basil For garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Prep your ingredients. Slice the onions, basil and mozzarella. Peel and roughly chop the garlic, and cut you tomatoes, I like to cut some in half and leave some whole- set aside.
- Trim any excess fat off the chicken breasts and slice the chicken breasts like you are going to butterfly them but cut all the way through so you have two equal pieces.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet with a light coating of olive oil over medium-high heat. Be sure the skillet is nice and hot, then add the chicken cooking 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and set aside. It is okay if it is not quite cooked though yet as it will continue to cook when removed form the heat and will be added back to the oven.
- Add a touch more olive oil to the pan then add onions and sauté for about 5 minutes or until onions are becoming translucent and fragrant.
- Add garlic and tomatoes, turn heat up to medium, medium-high. Cook the tomatoes, garlic and onions for about 8-10 minutes; the tomatoes should be just starting to blister. Add the balsamic vinegar turn the heat down and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove form heat and add the chicken back to the pan turning over to coat in the sauce. Top the chicken breast with the slices of fresh mozzarella and place the skillet in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven, top with fresh basil and enjoy!